/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
IDEA: Free roam with friends — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

IDEA: Free roam with friends

Prev1
There definitely needs to be a multiplayer aspect to the game! Like racing friends (whilst they are physically there) doing co-op deliveries etc etc. A bit like Assasins Creed Unity.

I'd also like to see more customisation options for individual characters. EG, customise Faith for the story mode. But have and additional multiplayer character that you can tailor to you.

Just a thought, loving the beta so far!

Dan

Comments

• I personally would prefer this not to be in the game. A feature like this would take a very long time to implement/test and I'd rather the devs spend their time perfecting what they have
  • I think it's a great idea for a future dlc maybe
  • Red wrote: »
    I personally would prefer this not to be in the game. A feature like this would take a very long time to implement/test and I'd rather the devs spend their time perfecting what they have

You can already see friends on the map just not see them in front of you. Why would they show us where are friends are?? Why should we care if we can't see them? I don't get it
  • I think it's a great idea for a future dlc maybe
    I just want it in the game from the get go. It's always been a story mode kind of game. Needs to branch out into the world of multiplayer I think. Great game already though

• dannyb173 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea for a future dlc maybe
    I just want it in the game from the get go. It's always been a story mode kind of game. Needs to branch out into the world of multiplayer I think. Great game already though

No I agree with you dude, when I played it earlier for a few hours I kept thinking "This needs a co op free roam mode I wish I could invite somebody to my game" everytime I kept seeing those player time trails from people online that's all I kept thinking, it desperately needs a co op free roam mode the story mode itself is fine playing it solo but they need to add in a co op free roam mode where I can invite somebody and we can create a runner and join each others games.
  • dandrix
    52 posts
    edited April 2016
    A seperate MP mode where you can create your own character and free roam, interact with other runners would be cool. Sort of like GTA Online type.
  • I think the issue with this is it takes away from Faith's story and turns it into your story. EA and DICE made a good call with the competitive aspects of the game because now we are pushed to be the best Faith we can be as opposed to just creating a random character with no clear direction. Plus it allows the development team to focus on animations and programming that will make the experience of the game better overall.
  • dandrix wrote: »
    A seperate MP mode where you can create your own character and free roam, interact with other runners would be cool. Sort of like GTA Online type.

Like this guy said they don't even need to add co op into the main game they can create a separate game mode like co op free roam where you can invite a friend to your game to play with you and free roam and fight the K-Sec guards the game mode won't take away faiths story because the game mode will be separate and you can make your own runner for the co op free roam mode only.
  • Do you guys realise how long that would take to program? And they dismissed this idea early in development, so they probably won't bring it back
  • Maybe for the next game. The first Mirror's Edge, while a cult classic and one of my favorite games of all time, didn't do that well. So I think the devs priority right now is to expand upon what people loved in the first game and make that better, rather than take the risk of trying to add something as different and time consuming as full multiplayer.

I do think character customization and multiplayer would be a cool feature for a future Mirror's Edge, but it doesn't necessarily make sense to have it in this one.
  • Yeah maybe a future mirrors edge with VR integration.
  • faethflex wrote: »
    Yeah maybe a future mirrors edge with VR integration.

It doesn't even need the VR. I think it would need two things.

First, it would need modes that not only benefit from having two runners share the same world, but require it. While it might be cool to do a time trial at the same trial as your friend, you don't need them there to do it. If there were modes and features designed around using two people, then it would be more feasible. Maybe your friend needs to give you a boost to reach a higher platform, then you can reach down and pull your friend up. Simple mechanic - instant structure to justify multiplayer. There could be two-man platforming puzzles, runner sparring, races, etc. And all of it could be introduced by teaming up with NPCs in the story.

Second, it needs a customizable main character. While I am a fan of Faith and her story, it would also be cool to role-play my own runner in a story that thrusts me to the forefront of a conflict and forces me to find my own unique motivations for why I run. This kind of game could incorporate player choice and character customization easily. It would also allow for true multiplayer, as teaming up with a friend wouldn’t result in having two of the same character on the screen.

Just some ideas. But that would require building the entire structure of the game with multiplayer in mind, which is something that can't happen for ME:C.
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    faethflex wrote: »
    Yeah maybe a future mirrors edge with VR integration.

It doesn't even need the VR. I think it would need two things.

First, it would need modes that not only benefit from having two runners share the same world, but require it. While it might be cool to do a time trial at the same trial as your friend, you don't need them there to do it. If there were modes and features designed around using two people, then it would be more feasible. Maybe your friend needs to give you a boost to reach a higher platform, then you can reach down and pull your friend up. Simple mechanic - instant structure to justify multiplayer. There could be two-man platforming puzzles, runner sparring, races, etc. And all of it could be introduced by teaming up with NPCs in the story.

Second, it needs a customizable main character. While I am a fan of Faith and her story, it would also be cool to role-play my own runner in a story that thrusts me to the forefront of a conflict and forces me to find my own unique motivations for why I run. This kind of game could incorporate player choice and character customization easily. It would also allow for true multiplayer, as teaming up with a friend wouldn’t result in having two of the same character on the screen.

Just some ideas. But that would require building the entire structure of the game with multiplayer in mind, which is something that can't happen for ME:C.

Who the eff even said Multiplayer did you not read the post properly? we said a co op free roam mode, it doesn't even need to be in the main game just a separate mode, and if you don't wanna play free roam with a friend you can stick with the single player campaign only nobody would be forcing you to play the co op free roam but those who do wanna invite friends to their game and play together and have fun want free roam, where you can play yourself doing the story campaign while most of us have fun with a friend. on the other hand you seem like a person to protest against people asking for co op or multiplayer on all types of games that are single player. Like I said you wouldn't be forced to play the co op free roam mode.
  • I've noticed a lot of butterfly effect games out these days, it would be nice to see how a character and plot in this environment would develop. Especially if there were difficult choices to be made.
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    I've noticed a lot of butterfly effect games out these days, it would be nice to see how a character and plot in this environment would develop. Especially if there were difficult choices to be made.

Like I just said, You wouldn't be forced to play the co op free roam mode you could stick to playing the single player campaign and not play co op free roam at all. While the rest of us wanna play with a friend. Whoever protested to the developers telling them to not add in co op was ridiculous
  • @HaraldHoerwick made some great points @BlueOnix
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    @HaraldHoerwick made some great points @BlueOnix

you're not even reading my posts. I said multiple times you would NOT be forced to play the co op free roam mode, it would be a choice you could just play the single player campaign for all we care. most people think they'd be forced to play it which most of us would rather invite a friend to our game to play with them. when I played the beta yesterday and will be playing it again today before it ends, I kept thinking to myself everytime I saw the time trials that people had made around the rooftops who played the beta with me was "I really wish I could invite somebody to my game" because there were literally so many time trials everywhere.
  • BlueOnix wrote: »
    Who the eff even said Multiplayer did you not read the post properly? we said a co op free roam mode, it doesn't even need to be in the main game just a separate mode, and if you don't wanna play free roam with a friend you can stick with the single player campaign only nobody would be forcing you to play the co op free roam but those who do wanna invite friends to their game and play together and have fun want free roam, where you can play yourself doing the story campaign while most of us have fun with a friend. on the other hand you seem like a person to protest against people asking for co op or multiplayer on all types of games that are single player. Like I said you wouldn't be forced to play the co op free roam mode.

Woah, why do you sound like you're attacking me? So judgy, too... The original post by dannyb173 said the following: "There definitely needs to be a multiplayer aspect to the game! ... I'd also like to see more customisation options for individual characters". So I was just addressing how those features might be implemented in a future game. No one is saying there shouldn't be co-op free roam, I just don't think it will happen in ME:C at this point. And I understand it would be an optional feature - that was clear from the beginning.

• faethflex wrote: »
    @HaraldHoerwick made some great points @BlueOnix

Thanks
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    BlueOnix wrote: »

Woah, why do you sound like you're attacking me? So judgy, too... The original post by dannyb173 said the following: "There definitely needs to be a multiplayer aspect to the game! ... I'd also like to see more customisation options for individual characters". So I was just addressing how those features might be implemented in a future game. No one is saying there shouldn't be co-op free roam, I just don't think it will happen in ME:C at this point. And I understand it would be an optional feature - that was clear from the beginning.

it needs co op you can't handle the fact that if it did get co op you'd only be playing the single player campaign while most of us would be playing the co op free roam mode. it seems to me like you don't want co op in the game yourself too bad the rest of us do. And if they did implement it you'd probably protest to have the co op free roam to be removed
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
    I don't like you, you're an [removed]. it needs co op you can't handle the fact that if it did get co op you'd only be playing the single player campaign while most of us would be playing the co op free roam mode. if you don't like people wanting co op why are you here? and why should we wait another 8 years to please you to get another mirrors edge game? Deal with the fact that there will be threads about people like us wanting a free roam co op mode.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I DON'T CARE whether or not this game has co-op. I think it would be COOL if this game had co-op. However, I'm just saying that for it to be done well and cohesively implemented, it would probably have to be either DLC or part of the next game. That's all. Everything else was just suggestions. And please be respectful by keeping profanity to yourself or they'll flag you.
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    I don't like you, you're an [removed]. it needs co op you can't handle the fact that if it did get co op you'd only be playing the single player campaign while most of us would be playing the co op free roam mode. if you don't like people wanting co op why are you here? and why should we wait another 8 years to please you to get another mirrors edge game? Deal with the fact that there will be threads about people like us wanting a free roam co op mode.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I DON'T CARE whether or not this game has co-op. I think it would be COOL if this game had co-op. However, I'm just saying that for it to be done well and cohesively implemented, it would probably have to be either DLC or part of the next game. That's all. Everything else was just suggestions. And please be respectful by keeping profanity to yourself or they'll flag you.

Exactly DLC I don't care if we have to wait 6 months to a year for a co op free roam mode tbh as long as it would get added. and DON'T YOU DARE YELL AT ME. Like are we not allowed to ask about co op?
    Exactly DLC I don't care if we have to wait 6 months to a year for a co op free roam mode tbh as long as it would get added. and DON'T YOU DARE YELL AT ME.

Caps were for emphasis, not to yell. But it seems like we've reached an understanding, so that's nice I guess.
  • I wonder why lately people want multiplayer/coop practically in every game. Can't they just understand that some games are better without it? Mirror's Edge for example. It was fine without coop before and will be fine without it.
    I get it that it would be cool to play with friends especially in a game like this, but look what happened with Dead Space and this... coop. You practically were stripped out of the story if you preferred to play alone. It was horribly done cooperation mode.
    Although I would be fine with more advanced multiplayer aspect that wouldn't ruin singleplayer experience. Like, creating your own Runner and then playing with other players in a special created HUB. But yet again, if Dice would care more about multi and not SP, then no, I wouldn't want them to add it.
    "The Flow is what keeps us running... keeps us alive."
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    Ash wrote: »
    I wonder why lately people want multiplayer/coop practically in every game. Can't they just understand that some games are better without it? Mirror's Edge for example. It was fine without coop before and will be fine without it.
    I get it that it would be cool to play with friends especially in a game like this, but look what happened with Dead Space and this... coop. You practically were stripped out of the story if you preferred to play alone. It was horribly done cooperation mode.
    Although I would be fine with more advanced multiplayer aspect that wouldn't ruin singleplayer experience. Like, creating your own Runner and then playing with other players in a special created HUB. But yet again, if Dice would care more about multi and not SP, then no, I wouldn't want them to add it.

I literally just said a co op free roam mode what the actual eff? it would be a co op free roam mode with no story what so ever and no missions just free roaming with a friend and doing side missions and fighting the K-Sec guards

I literally just said a co op free roam mode ****? it would be a co op free roam mode with no story what so ever and no missions just free roaming with a friend and doing side missions and fighting the K-Sec guards

Dude, I think you need calm your butt a bit and take a long, deep breath before writing a post. You're too aggressive.
    I saw what you wrote, I read your posts. I just wrote here my opinion, so what's your problem?

• Ash wrote: »

Dude, I think you need calm your butt a bit and take a long, deep breath before writing a post. You're too aggressive.
    I saw what you wrote, I read your posts. I just wrote here my opinion, so what's your problem?

n4wkdn.jpg
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    Ash wrote: »

I literally just said a co op free roam mode ****? it would be a co op free roam mode with no story what so ever and no missions just free roaming with a friend and doing side missions and fighting the K-Sec guards

so then tell us why it would ruin the single player story if it was free roam with no missions what so ever and we could invite a friend to play with us? are you that retarded?
  • Ash
    99 posts
    edited April 2016
    *snip*

;)

so then tell us why it would ruin the single player story if it was free roam with no missions what so ever and we could invite a friend to play with us? are you that retarded?

Maybe I will if you ask nicely. Aslo, please stop acting like a total potato.
  • BlueOnix
    13 posts
    edited April 2016
    Post removed.