/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
DLC Ideas — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

DLC Ideas

Prev13
Zorkaz
33 posts
edited June 2016
Ideas for Downloadable Content

This is a thread created for people to post their ideas for possible upcoming DLCs! Pretty straight forward, so let's cut to the chase.
If I get enough responses, I'll create a list of what I and others find to be the most interesting ideas on this post as a reference, so keep posting!

Extra Area DLCs
Ideas for new locations to add the game.

Commercial District: Although this kind of already exists, since you're on the rooftops you don't actually get to see any malls or shops. I feel like there aren't enough larger inside areas in the game so far, so a mall and other places like train stations would be a perfect addition on that front. Probably one of the reasons they don't feature these is because they'd need a reason to make it empty (so far, they haven't been doing so well on the 'bringing Glass to life front'). However, I still believe it would be awesome to explore some more areas like that, mainly because you'd get to see a bit more of the city's 'culture', for instance what a futuristic shopping mall would look like ...

Sky City: There is a whole area on the map with a helluva lot of really tall buildings, and while you still get that high up feeling in other places on the map, you can still get a lot higher. Not only would you get a great view of Glass, but there's an opportunity for a new style of rooftop, with more solar panels and arial satellite dishes for instance. And imagine ziplining over such high places!

Ground Level Harbour: While there are many logistical problems with this, like a lack of higher places to fall from, or what would happen if you fell in the water, but there are undoubtedly plenty of interesting things to be seen and had in an industrial style harbour. You'd also get to see the sea a little more, and have a chance to 'look up' at the city for once, instead of looking down.

The Greylands: Why not? It's not in the style of the fine polished Glass, but would it be impossible to create a dark, ruined world to freerun in too? There's no reason it wouldn't work just as well, plus we'd get to see a little what the Greylands are actually about. Not to mention it would open up the possiblity for a compelling story ...

Undercity: We see plenty of the shiny rooftops of Glass, Pristine and Spotless, but there must be dark, dank alleyways just in some areas of the city. The building are so tall that you'd need streetlights to see in the daytime, and it would be a seemless mix of tunnels and dirty alleyways. Would be a great way to contrast the gleaming upper city we all know and love.

Story DLCs
There's undoubtedly lots of potential for new story arcs in the world of Cascadia

Life of an Employee: Alright, maybe not exactly the life of a Midcast employee, but it would be interesting to see Faith meet up with and show her way of life to, a citizen of Glass, maybe showing them the 'better path', and teaching them to be free. It would allow us to observe what it would actually be like to live in Glass like the majority, and might allow us to see things from a different perspective, one where things might not seem so simple as living life as a slave to society, or how the runners see things. It will also allow us to draw a stronger parallel to our world, and expand on such a rich setting that is Cascadia.

Mirror's Edge Exordium: The comic was great, but would be even greater as a playable story arc. Not only would you get to see Celeste again (yay!), but it would just be a great thing to play. In fact, combine this with one of the area ideas, and you have the perfect DLC!

The Story of Icarus: Icarus' path is shrouded in mystery. It's possible that even Noah is unaware of what his life was before he met him. Playing as Icarus in a story arc leading up to the point at which he meets Noah would be a great way to learn more about him, AND get to play as somebody else. Like with the Exordium DLC idea, pairing this with a new area (like the Undercity), would make it really cool, and definitely something worth getting.

Faith's first Run: Faith grew up living on the rooftops, but what was her first actual run? How did she involved with Dogen for the first time, and what landed her in juvie (there's supposed to be a comic of that but so what?). It would just be interesting to see the beginning of the character we play, and shed some more light on her past.

The Greylands: Not only would this come with a whole new map, but it would be great for telling the story of those poor souls who reside there. Meet new characters and explore a completely different world than that of the pristine rooftops of Glass on your ultimate quest to escape. The possibilities are countless ....

Noah Returns: There are plenty of people out there who noticed the look on Kruger's face when Faith told him Noah was dead. He covered it up pretty quickly, but it was enough for us to wonder, is Noah really dead?
If he wasn't it would leave him in Kruger's hands, as a very powerful asset. He has skill, he has experience, and although Reflection originally failed, there are plenty of way to brainwash somebody. Kruger could start using him as his personal assassin for instance. If somebody like Plastic for instance were to recognize a pattern in these murders, she could send Faith to find out more, leading to her discovering that Noah is still alive, but on a different side. If there's one thing Faith can't handle, it's killing the person who's acted as her father since she was a little girl, so she needs to get him back. Kruger had already stolen one family member from her, two would be pushing it. This would allow for new areas, new characters, and a compelling storyline ...

Content DLCs
DLCs that add to the core features of the game, be it movement, combat, or customization, or even the character you play ...

*Modding: There's plenty that can be added to the game, and plenty that people are able to do without a developpers help. So far, here are some quick mod ideas:
-More People: A modder could import more characters models to the game, populating the desolate rooftops and suites of Anchor and the View a little more.
-Third Person: This is not the way the game's meant to be played, but we're all curious, right?
-Time of Day: Set the time of day so you get to see Glass in all it's glory at whatever time you want!

*More Puzzles: For a game about running, Mirrors Edge Catalyst definitely succeeds, but what happened to climbing? There are plenty of gigantic skyscapers out there that we'd love to explore the inside (and outside of). And there's not enough thinking that needs to be done in general. So why not design and create the interior of these building as puzzle levels that we need to figure out to climb to the next floor?

These are only a few quick ideas to get started on, and don't feel limited by the few categories I put down. Let your imagination run free, and post your ideas for what you should think should be added to the amazing game that is Mirror's Edge Catalyst ...
Post edited by Zorkaz on

Comments

• I know it's a little early to be talking about this, but since we haven't heard a peep about DLC, I can't help but speculate. I personally would like to see more parts of the city opened up, and a few more plotlines thrown in. I want to learn more about Faith's backstory, the guard with the scar, Dogen, etc. I'm not a huge fan of just adding more dashes or challenges.

Thoughts?
  • Can't remember quite what they said nor when the cutscene took place but think it was after you saved the female scientist and got some access to more data and Plastic was intrigued by something called "Project Ares" or something like that but the scientist just told her to leave that be and focus so I'm really curios to what that is and if it could be used to make a dlc around it.
  • More gridNodes, those are your next-gen Pure Time Trials pack right there. Personally I found those to be the highlight of the game!
  • The problem with the DLC is the pricing. We will get something like a single neighborhood for 15$/€. I never understood this! You make an ENTIRE GAME for 60$ and then you charge 15$ for a neighborhood/district? Why? By that logic, the game should cost around 500$ at day1!
    Same with Battlefield (and all the other games). They design FOUR (4) maps TWO (2) guns and a game mode and they charge for 15$... WHY? The original game has an entire single player story, 15-20 maps for MP, a ton of guns and attachments and multiplayer modes. That DLC should cost around 3-4 dollars for what it offers!
  • Soilworker77
    8 posts
    edited June 2016
    THE4400fan wrote: »
    The problem with the DLC is the pricing. We will get something like a single neighborhood for 15$/€. I never understood this! You make an ENTIRE GAME for 60$ and then you charge 15$ for a neighborhood/district? Why? By that logic, the game should cost around 500$ at day1!
    Same with Battlefield (and all the other games). They design FOUR (4) maps TWO (2) guns and a game mode and they charge for 15$... WHY? The original game has an entire single player story, 15-20 maps for MP, a ton of guns and attachments and multiplayer modes. That DLC should cost around 3-4 dollars for what it offers!

I remember the times when you used to buy something called EXPANSION PACKS, which more or less were an entirely new game based on the original game. Nowdays we have these frigging annoying DLC's in which they have picked out a few bits here and there from the main game just to squeeze every penny out of us... Aargh, bring back the good old days with expansion packs. Please?
  • I wanna climb up all the rooftop
    esp the high buildings
  • I know it's a little early to be talking about this, but since we haven't heard a peep about DLC, I can't help but speculate. I personally would like to see more parts of the city opened up, and a few more plotlines thrown in. I want to learn more about Faith's backstory, the guard with the scar, Dogen, etc. I'm not a huge fan of just adding more dashes or challenges.

Thoughts?

My ideas aren't exactly appropriate for something like DLC, but I wish these things could be added to improve overall experience:

1. If Faith can't hold guns, why not pick up batons? She used it in the cutscene with Gabriel. She can also technically use one of the Shock Protector's gear. There doesn't need to be a damage boost from these weapons. It's just so I can see more badass animations.
    2. The security measures in Glass are so petty. At 3 bars only a drone comes after me? There should be a fourth bar where Sentinels could not only appear, but actually pursue me. The other enemy types just stand in their little box, just waiting for me to return to them and crack their helmets.
    3. Map expansion is definitely a must. Maybe we can do parkour in the streets. That should be far more entertaining since the streets have potentially more small obstacles to navigate through. The parkour should be more streamlined on the streets.
    4. Freerunning tricks man. Who wouldn't appreciate that? Faith runs for the kick of it right? Why can't she do flips and dives then?
    5. In the I Am Faith trailer, there were cutscenes of Icarus and Nomad that weren't in the actual game. Are there deleted scenes? At this point, for the sake of the plot, I could accept anything Dice is willing to add to the story.
    6. CO-OP. GODDANG THIS SHOULD BE THE PERFECT GAME FOR IT. If I was allowed to run on the streets with much tighter security and population density, I wouldn't care about co-op. However, because the rooftops are so empty, and I see NOWHERE what you would call "cabal members looking after one another," co-op is a must. If there are 2 more more ppl, you could do real-time races, Dice could beef up the difficulty in Glass security, and more. Please Dice.
  • Paying your debt DLC just saying
  • 1. Hard mode: Get hit reduce 2 HP. Hard landing reduce 1 HP. Very hard mode: No HP, get hit (without focus shield) and hard landing kill you.
    2. Bring "Project Icarus" from the first ME to MEC: K-Sec have runner solider against you.
    3. Open all rooftop in open world. I mean, the real top of all buildings. I love climbing.
    4. Transport by riding drone in main road. (Disable during time attack race)
    5. Hold racing event each month. Win runner tag.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    1. DLC for more areas, as already said. But also more areas on the ground, and other places like a ship, a mall, and so on.
    2. More people. Actually, except NPC for deliveries, people are just few models, and infinite clones. Give to the community a tool for importing models in the game (so more models you have, less clones you can see)
    3. Missions, missions, missions. More Gridnodes. More buildings to climb (and the rooftop would be the aim of the mission).
    But we're all dreaming anyway. Everyone is on Battlefield, nothing is done for obvious problems like desynchro, and EA doesn't care about ME:C which is not a money maker like Battlefield.
    Many things would be done by the community if they would allow to mod the game, and it's even not the case. Sometimes for good reasons (I think that if you add free-running zones, or buildings, you have to rebuild all the map and it's not possible), sometimes not.
    And the silence of the developers... it's a dead end.
  • Teto wrote: »

this. compared to any other game, i have never seen such a lack of involvement and response from the dev team. Probably because they are a bit ashamed, what with the state of the game and their original release date of "when it's done". I honestly had much higher hopes for ME2. Unfortunately, it does feel rushed and unfinished, like you are playing the skeleton of the game the developers had intended. ME was such a project of passion and you could really see it in the detail and vibrancy of the world and gameplay, the sequel just feels more hollow. I honestly think it's the 'Open World' aspect that does it. I miss how varied and unique the missions of the first game felt. If I had to have one DLC it would be one that replicated that feeling of variety and purpose from the first game. I know that's vague but that's all I feel is missing from this game.
  • Teto wrote: »
    But we're all dreaming anyway. Everyone is on Battlefield, nothing is done for obvious problems like desynchro, and EA doesn't care about ME:C which is not a money maker like Battlefield.
    Many things would be done by the community if they would allow to mod the game, and it's even not the case. Sometimes for good reasons (I think that if you add free-running zones, or buildings, you have to rebuild all the map and it's not possible), sometimes not.

Unfortunately this does seem to be the case, but like you said, why not dream eh? And there are some great ideas here, I'll add them to the main topic soon. The silence of the developpers is really a shame too, as there are some people (not just me I hope) out there who still love the game and would just love more, but unfortunately, like you said, it was never going to bring in bucks like Battlefield, and it wasn't all that successful anyway so it's a shame, especially seeing as there's so much that can be potentially added.

• I'm down with story dlc, greylands and sky city which happens to be my favorite place in the game.
  • santhi93
    20 posts
    edited June 2016
    Listing the things I agree with so far reading this and possibly listing mine too:

Areas
    This is something that I'm REALLY anticipating for them to bring on a DLC: new areas

1- I'm really confused about this "Sky City" but I think it refers to that tallest building that you happen to explore in the final mission. BUT it would be incredible to me to explore that area in which there are those bigger buildings all together and that sky train circling around. If that area merged both lower areas like the edges and interiors of those buildings, and the higher ones like office rooms, rooftops with solar windows, zip lines and stuff... That would really feel immersive to me.

2- The areas in which are located the lower buildings are a must to me because they would bring me back to the older game, which I loved so much... And they happen to be all matched by the same way the playable districts looks. They just need to make it happen.

3- Expanding the subterrain areas to make a contrast between the vast majority that the buildings' areas are... There's just too few subterrain to explore and they all seem linear to me. Plus, if you guys know what I'm talking about, there's actually an inaccessible area in there which is locked by a big door and seems to be a future access to further DLC areas.

4- Buildings with vertical environments full of puzzles would be the cherry to the cake to me. There are quite alot of big buildings (which also appears on the game art visuals that are really like in-game graphics) that could be accessible on further area DLCs. I'm talking particularly about the ones on the opposite side of the "economic district", the ones which are located on the lower buildings' zone and are extremely high. If the devs happen to add some of those zones, they really should bring us these amazing experiences to explore their interiors and being able to reach their rooftop... I mean, this game is all about rooftops, why wouldn't they let us explore those big buildings to the fullest like they did in Dogen's mission?! But I don't want to have to repeat a mission to access them.

5- It really feels disappointing that I cannot access alot of mission areas that are inside the game but locked. Often times I happen to randomly find them and see there's the entrance, but it's locked with a vent door or a circling fan... Come on, this game is all about exploring. You guys know that the most fun thing on this game is to experience the different feels of the zones around this unique world.

6- The development zone is great, gj here DICE. Like I said: there's the building which you climb in Rebecca's mission and should be accessible on the open world in my opinion... I absolutely love that idea of exploring a zone being constructed, it feels like a runner's playground and is really fun to be at... Would love an improvement on this zone.

The Greylands could be a zone coming in to the next game. I think it's one of those things that makes us anticipate a sequel, so I'll leave it that way.

Harbour zones: another thing that could be on a new game. That could bring us the feel of the older game when we did that mission fighting with Celeste. But I agree that industrial interiors could be present in this one from the start. Now that they're not, I'm paying more attention to the ones I've listed before because they're more important to me.

Honestly, I don't care about "empty zones". If you pay attention, they're actually frequent on this game as well. The playable zones are... empty. Because they're 'almost' supposed to be and I say almost because they tried to give us the idea that future cities will have social life happening more on higher places than on ground level... But I'm okay with the fact that the playable zones are free to you to contemplate the graphic beauty and you look at the horizon and see people walking, cars driving around and the sky train going on... So I really want those interiors you mentioned. More crowded zones with actual AI reacting to you would be something to add on a sequel.

Story DLCs

Really, the story is done in this one and unfortunately on a short way. I don't like the cliche and predictable Noah's death, and I guess others here agree with me... It really would be unpredictable if he remained alive and would be obliged to run for his freedom with Faith all over the path again. Though he was not a runner anymore, he was an experienced guy and would have known what to do in order to get closer to Faith's ability while she would help him reach the places and escape... Even if it costs him some scratches. That would REALLY add to the story and make it spectacular to me that Faith would return the favor he did when he rescued her as a child and took care of her.

So this Citizens of Cascadia's missions is a great idea, but for side missions DLC. They would be great to add to the new areas and make you explore them while doing their missions and also getting to know their history within the different scenery and culture of the city.

Come on DICE, you guys did a great job building this game from the scratch, but everywhere we run there's room for more, more areas, more missions... More immersion. Remember the first points of this topic (areas): these are frequent requests everywhere I look.
    Post edited by santhi93 on
  • Don't wanna read the comic to know how Faith got into juvie DLC
  • "Really don't like the cliche and predictable Noah's death... "
    I actually don't think Noah is dead...Faith just thought he was dead and left him, not funeral no nothing. Noah was injected with Reflection, so maybe they bring him back as a messed up, brainwashed runner tasked with hunting down Faith.
    Also, when Faith fought Kruger she was all like "You killed Noah" and Kruger had a look on his face that leads me to believe Noah is still alive.
    As you can probably tell...I liked Noah :D
  • Zorkaz
    33 posts
    edited June 2016
    Buraku78 wrote: »
    Also, when Faith fought Kruger she was all like "You killed Noah" and Kruger had a look on his face that leads me to believe Noah is still alive.
    As you can probably tell...I liked Noah :D

Interesting! This actually makes sense ...
    santhi93 wrote: »
    Listing the things I agree with so far reading this and possibly listing mine too:

Come on DICE, you guys did a great job, building this game from the scratch, but everywhere we run there's room for more, more areas, more missions... More immersion. Remember the first points of this topic (areas): these are frequent requests everywhere I look.

There are some great ideas here. I especially love the Noah story idea DLC. I'll add them this evening!
    Post edited by Zorkaz on
  • I feel like these are ideas more likely to be implemented in another game than in downloadable content. That is, if the team even gets enough positive feedback to afford another game...
  • santhi93
    20 posts
    edited June 2016
    I didn't mean to make the Noah's alternative story a DLC. I was trying to say that the main story should be this way... Now that they've probably killed the guy, it doesn't make sense anymore. But in case I'm wrong and it happened just like Buraku78 said, let's hope they make a comeback on a sequel... He was a charismatic character to me.
  • I think it would be cool to play as Icarus and how he became a runner! From the day he left his home, to the day he met Faith. I also think it would be interesting if they re-created the missions from the comics
  • ParryDiise wrote: »
    I also think it would be interesting if they re-created the missions from the comics
    **** yes. I don't understand why the comic was made in the first place actually, when it would have worked so much better as a mission arc. And seeing Celeste in-game would have been awesome.
    I think it would be cool to play as Icarus and how he became a runner! From the day he left his home, to the day he met Faith. I also think it would be interesting if they re-created the missions from the comics

This is a great idea too. He definitely seems to have an interesting past. It could lead up to or start from the moment when Noah saves him from whatever.
    ParryDiise wrote: »
    I also think it would be interesting if they re-created the missions from the comics
    **** yes. I don't understand why the comic was made in the first place actually, when it would have worked so much better as a mission arc. And seeing Celeste in-game would have been awesome.

I agree with this too! On the list it goes ...
  • zdothek
    8 posts
    edited June 2016
    @Zorkaz @tinypanmilk @ParryDiise

(Besides seeing Celeste in a repeat Exordium mission)
    Sorry, I don't know if you know this but,

Celeste moved to Aurora with her sister right after Faith went to juvie. Aurora is far away from Glass, in upper Cascadia.

CmOwIJSUYAAlhW0.jpg:large

There is no way you're going to see Cel again. (Unless faith books a parkour adventure with Icarus and Nomad through the greylands into Aurora) unlikely to happen---

But seeing a mission from Exordium would be pretty cool, no lie.
    Like the one where you follow Celeste to steal the vaccine.
    That would mean they would have to open up the entire map :)

CmOxGDAVYAAklHi.jpg:large

And btw if you think the developers arent listening to your ideas,
    try reaching out to them on twitter
    :)
    Post edited by zdothek on
  • zdothek wrote: »
    @Zorkaz @tinypanmilk @ParryDiise

(Besides seeing Celeste in a repeat Exordium mission)
    Sorry, I don't know if you know this but,

Celeste moved to Aurora with her sister right after Faith went to juvie. Aurora is far away from Glass, in upper Cascadia.

CmOwIJSUYAAlhW0.jpg:large

There is no way you're going to see Cel again. (Unless faith books a parkour adventure with Icarus and Nomad through the greylands into Aurora) unlikely to happen---

But seeing a mission from Exordium would be pretty cool, no lie.
    Like the one where you follow Celeste to steal the vaccine.
    That would mean they would have to open up the entire map :)

CmOxGDAVYAAklHi.jpg:large

And btw if you think the developers arent listening to your ideas,
    try reaching out to them on twitter
    :)

Do you know what the developers twitter names are?
  • Teto
    137 posts
    For the time of day, I'd like 2 things, actually:
    - A set time of day, as already asked.
    - but also set a time of day, and the time goes on after. And this could be done when Faith is in a secure runner place, she sleeps on a bed and wakes up at the time set by the player.
  • NeloAngelo086
    25 posts
    edited July 2016
    I really dig the idea of icarus story DLC, give him an new area etc with his own moveset and 3rd person takedowns (but make it cool like DareDevil series when it comes to his moveset =D ) and see a bit more of Noah, I would really like that, could also be sold apart from the game for a lower price off course since it´s smaller, day one for me. I´m not sure how well the game is doing thou, for now I would simply enjoy a patch on ps4 to fix the constant texture popping on the first few areas and make the 3rd person takedowns being at our control, as far as I know it really only happens in certain missions on the last enemy, it´s a shame because I really like these, a simple option to leave it in first person would be enough to adress the complains of those who dont like the camera changing.
  • @ParryDiise

Well I know that there is @.mirrorsedge
    and @.Dhiel
    and @.Vincent0k

there are probably more but I don't know
  • I'm sending a letter to DICE and i'm gonna include some of these DLC ideas if you don't mind
    I'm sending a letter to DICE and i'm gonna include some of these DLC ideas if you don't mind

That's fine, great even! In fact, could you include some of the suggestions from here:
    https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2266/suggestion-thread-things-to-improve
    It's a similar thread with smaller tweaks instead of full DLCs, but they're more manageable. Up to you really but take a look!

• I already asked one dev to look at this thread, and they said they would do it.

Hopefully one of these ideas get implemented in the future :)