/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3?

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3?

Prev13456
I sure hope so, with a more fleshed out map and story would be nice. I assume Catalyst sold reasonably well, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comments

• I wish, but it probably isn't going to happen
  • I think if they make number 3 they should add like a character creation or at least some sort of customization and maybe let you choose a cabal which in turn gives you probably like 3 or 4 different ways to play and storylines to follow, maybe for the runner storyline have faith and Icarus as the runner leaders and you as a new recruit, but that's just my opinion. What do you think?
  • ws3soldier wrote: »
    I think if they make number 3 they should add like a character creation or at least some sort of customization and maybe let you choose a cabal which in turn gives you probably like 3 or 4 different ways to play and storylines to follow, maybe for the runner storyline have faith and Icarus as the runner leaders and you as a new recruit, but that's just my opinion. What do you think?

I think character creation would defeat the purpose of the ME storyline, but I think something like that could work nice with a multiplayer mode of sorts in a future game. However, I'm completely with you on the idea to have many different ways, or paths you can take with in the game to have a different outcome in the story. Its one thing I really wanted for this reboot, but unfortunately, regardless of the game being a lot more open some how the story still felt really linear.
  • I have faith >_>
    If Catalyst has sold 2 million +. I wish they would at least post about how well it has sold on social media.
  • I think they will. EA seemed to be satisfied with MEC sales.
  • Yeah I think it will happen. EA's comments plus industry analyst comments seem to indicate MEC sold well enough for what they wanted.
  • I wish, but it probably isn't going to happen

Yeah. I think we can dream for a sequel, and if it does happen I hope they learn from what they did wrong this time to make the next one perfect. I'll be honest, what probably killed the game's sales the most wasn't the critical reviews, but the flood of flamers from the second the game was released.
  • Mukar wrote: »
    I wish, but it probably isn't going to happen

Yeah. I think we can dream for a sequel, and if it does happen I hope they learn from what they did wrong this time to make the next one perfect. I'll be honest, what probably killed the game's sales the most wasn't the critical reviews, but the flood of flamers from the second the game was released.

According to industry reports, the sales didn't get killed though. Looks like it sold between 1.7-2 million copies. EA has publicly said the game met their expectations. So there's a significant possibility we get a third game.

That's despite the best efforts of the "flood of flamers" as you pointed out. People claiming to love the first game and been waiting 8 years for this one, then ragging this game every chance they got. Worst part is most of them didn't even get the game. Yeah they were sooo waiting 8 years that they didn't so much as pre-order, much less actually pick the game up haha

I was waiting 8 years for this too. I signed up for the beta as soon as I found out about it and immediately pre-ordered. Picked the game up day one. That's what people do when they actually "love" an IP and have "waited 8 years" for the sequel. haha
  • They didn't even mention the game during recent financial conversations, which indicates that it sold poorly. Nothing is going to increase its sales now. Unfortunately, this was predictable; the game was never going to attract new audiences, and was never going to sell to all existing fans, many of whom were completely put off by the game (I, for one, am enjoying it, and think that it's about as good as it could have been--I went in with realistic expectations, and that's the difference).
  • I sure hope there's another...
    Maybe connect the dots between Mirror's Edge: C and the Original.
    Or show what happens after the Original Mirror's Edge.
    Expand the Mirror's Edge Universe a bit ;)
  • I actually think there's a pretty big possibility we'll get another game. I don't necessarily think we need one, but I'd like one, if that makes sense. The first game never needed a sequel, or a reboot, but we got one and I'm pleased for that. And EA seems significantly satisfied with the sales of Catalyst. Obviously the game was never going to sell millions of copies, because the first game wasn't really a huge success either, so a sequel/reboot isn't going to pull in tons of new people out of the blue. But EA sounded pleased enough with the sales, as it was 'what they expected'. If they were expecting this average level of success, and still put in the obvious sequel baiting at the end of the game, there's a pretty high chance we'll get another. With that ending, it'd kill me not to have a follow-up!
  • MECTester wrote: »
    They didn't even mention the game during recent financial conversations, which indicates that it sold poorly. Nothing is going to increase its sales now. Unfortunately, this was predictable; the game was never going to attract new audiences, and was never going to sell to all existing fans, many of whom were completely put off by the game (I, for one, am enjoying it, and think that it's about as good as it could have been--I went in with realistic expectations, and that's the difference).

You have no idea why they didn't mention MEC in the financial conversation haha. They have publicly said Catalyst met their expectations. They likely didn't expect the game to be a huge revenue driver like Battlefield or Star Wars Battlefront, so there would be no "disappointing" sales below estimates to report.
  • i also think that we will get a third title. the original wasnt that much of a huge hit but did generally well that we got after 8 years another title. they saw how much people liked the principe as such of the theme since they have announced catalyst.
    all i want is, that they take their time and dont rush the third game. they usually dont go well.
    I think if they make number 3 they should add like a character creation or at least some sort of customization and maybe let you choose a cabal which in turn gives you probably like 3 or 4 different ways to play and storylines to follow, maybe for the runner storyline have faith and Icarus as the runner leaders and you as a new recruit, but that's just my opinion. What do you think?

I think character creation would defeat the purpose of the ME storyline, but I think something like that could work nice with a multiplayer mode of sorts in a future game. However, I'm completely with you on the idea to have many different ways, or paths you can take with in the game to have a different outcome in the story. Its one thing I really wanted for this reboot, but unfortunately, regardless of the game being a lot more open some how the story still felt really linear.

i think customizing a character wouldn't work either, it would really only work for multiplayer. but i think if it was possible to customize Faith's outfit, like shoes, pants, t shirt, that vest thing she has on, gloves ect... i think that would expand on your love for the main character , what i mean by that is every player has their own looking faith to be attached to, she'd be the same person with the same personality traits, but maybe having that sort of customization would be a nice touch maybe???
  • Mirror's edge Catalyst got more attention and more sales than the original. If the original was enough to make a reboot/sequel, then Catalyst could definitely be enough to create a sequel. Let's all pray that some love and support will bring some attention to DICE.
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • I would like a sequel, but I hope they give the 'Anti-Capitalist/Consumerism' preaching a rest in the next one. Maybe explore the 'evils' of the opposite; Collectivism and Communist systems (kind of like what they did with Bioshock 2).

I am continually amazed by the amount of anti-consumerist media that exists - video games, movies, TV shows, books, that all preach about how bad 'consumerism' is, like consumerism is this terrible, 'evil' thing that we should all hate and feel ashamed of ourselves for - but not enough to stop consuming all these anti-consumerist games, movies, TV shows and books, of course...
    The thing that annoys me about all that is that the writers of all this media seem to think they're the only ones doing it - they all seem to be blissfully unaware that 'anti-consumerism' is the majority opinion these days, but they all seem to think they're being 'rebellious' by condemning consumerism...which is quite ironic, really.

It'd be refreshing if the Mirror's Edge: Catalyst sequel went in the other direction and showed the nasty side of 'collectivist' society; no individuality, no value placed on truth (as truth is defined by whatever the collective believes), the only 'good' being that which benefits the majority collective, the most abhorrent acts and behaviour being permissible so long as it does not harm the collective.... I thought they might have been hinting at something like that with that Thane woman and her Black November group, but they didn't really get a chance to elaborate on it in this one. That might be a good place to go in a sequel. Maybe just convey the point that none of these philosophies are particularly 'good' in the end, instead of just continually bashing one and implying the opposite is better.
  • JackyPrower
    14 posts
    edited August 2016
    I would like a sequel, but I hope they give the 'Anti-Capitalist/Consumerism' preaching a rest in the next one. Maybe explore the 'evils' of the opposite; Collectivism and Communist systems (kind of like what they did with Bioshock 2).

I am continually amazed by the amount of anti-consumerist media that exists - video games, movies, TV shows, books, that all preach about how bad 'consumerism' is, like consumerism is this terrible, 'evil' thing that we should all hate and feel ashamed of ourselves for - but not enough to stop consuming all these anti-consumerist games, movies, TV shows and books, of course...
    The thing that annoys me about all that is that the writers of all this media seem to think they're the only ones doing it - they all seem to be blissfully unaware that 'anti-consumerism' is the majority opinion these days, but they all seem to think they're being 'rebellious' by condemning consumerism...which is quite ironic, really.

It'd be refreshing if the Mirror's Edge: Catalyst sequel went in the other direction and showed the nasty side of 'collectivist' society; no individuality, no value placed on truth (as truth is defined by whatever the collective believes), the only 'good' being that which benefits the majority collective, the most abhorrent acts and behaviour being permissible so long as it does not harm the collective.... I thought they might have been hinting at something like that with that Thane woman and her Black November group, but they didn't really get a chance to elaborate on it in this one. That might be a good place to go in a sequel. Maybe just convey the point that none of these philosophies are particularly 'good' in the end, instead of just continually bashing one and implying the opposite is better.

This is an interesting take. This, too, could become very predictable very quickly (all your friends become enemies because reasons, and all that) but could be a nice starting point.
    And take this opportunity to make Faith explore more of her city without standing all the time on the rooftops, to make her delve deppeer in the city from the lower classes and more "productive" eviroments. This is what Mirror's Edge 1 did (with the the factory, the ship, the metro and so on) and i miss it on Mirror's Edge Catalyst, it always feels like it's missing just a touch of variety.
    A neon-filled futuristic marketplace enviroment would be nice, for example.
  • The ending of the story implies a sequel so it just comes down to a financial decision for EA.
  • It would definitely be a disappointment to me if they didn't make a sequel, as the ending of the game sets it up perfectly for one. There is also so much more of the city we haven't been able to explore. As for the customizable outfits, I agree that it would only work well in multiplayer. One thing that I think would be awesome for a sequel would be better multiplayer. Imagine if you could actually set up a server where you and your friends could run around and fight each other, not just a pixely ghost of them in certain races. That's the sort of thing I would love from this game.
  • well it has been quite a bit since Catalyst been released and still no patches, and my ps4 version sure could use one to optmize que old style ME areas on texture loading, not sure if the game did well enough for a sequel at this point... I was honestly hoping for DLC story, Im even doing a drawing of Icarus with wishfull thinking of seeing a DLC of him joining the cabal xD
  • well it has been quite a bit since Catalyst been released and still no patches, and my ps4 version sure could use one to optmize que old style ME areas on texture loading, not sure if the game did well enough for a sequel at this point... I was honestly hoping for DLC story, Im even doing a drawing of Icarus with wishfull thinking of seeing a DLC of him joining the cabal xD

That would be fantastic if we got an Icarus DLC, there's so much more to Icarus's character we need to know. Especially since when the character info was first released on the official site, we were told Icarus had a 'big secret', and I don't think we ever found out about that in-game (or in-comic even), unless it was featured in some abstract recording or document I haven't tracked down yet. He's a character with so much unused potential.

That would be fantastic if we got an Icarus DLC, there's so much more to Icarus's character we need to know. Especially since when the character info was first released on the official site, we were told Icarus had a 'big secret', and I don't think we ever found out about that in-game (or in-comic even), unless it was featured in some abstract recording or document I haven't tracked down yet. He's a character with so much unused potential.

I didn´t read the comic but I did listen to all the audio recordings in the game and read the character profile, there is information to him that "exists" but hasn´t been shared yet for sure, though I do like him a lot and would be nice having some smaller map to run with him and playing with him with his own move set and takedowns, I honestly don´t see Dice using other playable characters than Faith, I´m ok with that too, she awesome <3 I do hope for a new game in the very least in the future (hopefully a near one and not another 8 years), Mirro´s Edge and Deus Ex were my most expected games this year, Mirro´s Edge so far was something fresh I haven´t had in a while and by while I mean years, I´ve platinium it and I still play it from time to time just for fun, I want more "cries" xD

That sounds good. The more creative games can be, the more fun it its!
  • these are some ideas from my "Mirrors Edge 3 - Social Play" post. I just have some ideas on how to make social play a bit more fun. You can check it out if you want :)
    - Runner Cabals: I think that creating your own runner cabals in the online game would be SICK. You and your cabal could go infiltrate a corporate building, or make an alliance with other cabals. Your cabal could have shared scrip, so you all could by gadgets and clothes together.
    - Runner Customization: For online gameplay it would be amazing if you could design your own runner. In story mode and regular free roam you play as Faith, and when you switch to online, you play as your custom-made character. You could collect clothes and accessories by stealing them from clothing corporations or by doing deliveries. This idea is sorta similar to "The Division".
  • I also think the game could maybe use some cooler hacking abilities. If you saw the Watch Dogs 2 presentation at E3, you know what i'm talking about. Faith could use distractions to avoid KSEC by hacking drones and flying them into VTOLS, or hacking KSEC comms and playing extremely loud opera music until their ears bleed! I think that would bring a really cool element in the game.
  • SPChanelSTH
    17 posts
    edited September 2016
    ParryDiise wrote: »
    I also think the game could maybe use some cooler hacking abilities. If you saw the Watch Dogs 2 presentation at E3, you know what i'm talking about. Faith could use distractions to avoid KSEC by hacking drones and flying them into VTOLS, or hacking KSEC comms and playing extremely loud opera music until their ears bleed! I think that would bring a really cool element in the game.

That make mirror's edge not mirror's edge :V Catalyst hacking is already good and loud opera is terrible idea. We just need more mission , longer story , bigger map , More upgrade , Change XP to runner point and make it able to show with your friend , Special Online Mission and Outfit Customization.

Longer story - Add more mission and longer story

Change XP to Runner Point System - Collect Runner Point from killing krueger Sec , Infinity Delievery Mission. And use it to race with your friend Runner point.

Special Online Mission - You can play with your friend.

Outfit Customization - Use Runner Cash that you earn from the Main and Side mission or infinity Delievery mission to purchase new outfit.

Advanced Combat - Use the takedown automatic when enemy health is low

Bigger Map - Add a bigger map include The Shard (Or whatever it called in the new game)

Dynamic Weather - Rain , Fog , Sunny , Storm

Online Running - Racing,Fighting,Parkour with online people

These would be cool
    aulodp866cd.png
    I am the combat master :V
  • I'd love a weather cycle. That beautiful rain effect at the start of the game is very underutilised. Online playing is also in high demand, but how would it be implemented?
  • I'd love a weather cycle. That beautiful rain effect at the start of the game is very underutilised. Online playing is also in high demand, but how would it be implemented?
    I'd love a weather cycle. That beautiful rain effect at the start of the game is very underutilised. Online playing is also in high demand, but how would it be implemented?

To me, a really cool concept could be that you could design your own custom runner that people see you as, but you play as Faith. I think that runner cabal rivalries, multiplayer courier missions, etc. could really be exciting. There was also a feature in The Division where when you started a mission, you could instantly create a random team to go through that mission with you. I feel that that could work with Catalyst. You start a mission like The Shard for example, and you all have to find different paths, work together, and get your way to the top as a team. I don't know if I'm going a little overboard, because ME isn't based on multiplayer, but I do really believe that these features could be cool
  • ParryDiise wrote: »
    I also think the game could maybe use some cooler hacking abilities. If you saw the Watch Dogs 2 presentation at E3, you know what i'm talking about. Faith could use distractions to avoid KSEC by hacking drones and flying them into VTOLS, or hacking KSEC comms and playing extremely loud opera music until their ears bleed! I think that would bring a really cool element in the game.

That make mirror's edge not mirror's edge :V Catalyst hacking is already good and loud opera is terrible idea. We just need more mission , longer story , bigger map , More upgrade , Change XP to runner point and make it able to show with your friend , Special Online Mission and Outfit Customization.

Longer story - Add more mission and longer story

Change XP to Runner Point System - Collect Runner Point from killing krueger Sec , Infinity Delievery Mission. And use it to race with your friend Runner point.

Special Online Mission - You can play with your friend.

Outfit Customization - Use Runner Cash that you earn from the Main and Side mission or infinity Delievery mission to purchase new outfit.

Advanced Combat - Use the takedown automatic when enemy health is low

Bigger Map - Add a bigger map include The Shard (Or whatever it called in the new game)

Dynamic Weather - Rain , Fog , Sunny , Storm

Online Running - Racing,Fighting,Parkour with online people

These would be cool

I understand your opinion on this idea, but there are a lot of people who would like multiple ways, and methods to play the game. There are some people who want to fight every last KrugerSEC and cause a mess. But, there are also people who would rather avoid KrugerSEC and have their own method of playing the game. In the MEC, Faith uses shotguns (hacking tool) to steal information all of the time. It wouldn't make sense for her to not have some advanced hacking tools and abilities. And hacking would be a very vital part to the method of trying to avoid KSEC instead of fighting them.