/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3? - Page 3 — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3? - Page 3

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Think we'll get a Mirror's Edge 3?

Comments

• I hope they will make part 3, like Faith said "... and we have to finish this". Just please EA, do it.
  • I'm optimistic about it. The sales of ME: Catalyst seem to be pretty good; so, I think it's really a matter of whether DICE can dedicate the appropriate resources to it and whether EA gives it the green light.

I loved the original Mirror's Edge and have probably spent several weeks of real time playing the game, but overall I think Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is a much better game. The visuals are much nicer and crisper, the gameplay is a lot more fluid, and the story is much more fleshed out. If there's one thing I think the original did well that was sort of absent from Catalyst, it was the original's focus was on speed whereas Catalyst is more about parkour. It felt much more satisfying getting three stars in a time trial in Mirror's Edge than it did getting three stars in a dash in Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. I also wish Catalyst had more comprehensive leaderboards and the ability to race against people's ghost times without having to visit a custom time trial. Other than that, though, I think Catalyst improved on almost everything else that the original Mirror's Edge did right (and wrong.)

______________In the below paragraph, I will talk about the plot, so if you don't want SPOILERS, please do not read below this point!______________

Storywise, I think both games left something to be desired and I hope DICE will fill in those holes if they make a sequel to Catalyst. Basically all of Faith's childhood is explained in a single cutscene interspersed throughout the main game. What happens between that point and the beginning of the game is only explained via collectible intel hidden throughout the game. For a game that was supposed to focus more on Faith's origin, there really isn't a lot of information about her except in complementary media like the comics. I hope we'll see more interaction between Faith and her sister in the next game. The first game was all about Faith saving Kate. Catalyst saw Faith as a rebel without a cause. Yeah, she wants to stop the initiation of Reflection, but the story feels much less personal. Obviously, when Noah dies and she discovers the truth about Caitlyn, she develops a personal vendetta against Gabriel Kruger, but that happens so late in the game that it's almost an afterthought. She basically gains a personal justification for what she was already doing to begin with. The endings of both games are also incredibly frustrating because they're over before they even begin. The first one ends with a single jump onto a helicopter and Catalyst's ending is just a cutscene. Catalyst obviously sets itself up for a sequel, but I'd like to be involved in the action for once. There's no true final bosses in either game. I didn't want to fight two disposable grunts, I wanted to fight Gabriel Kruger, I wanted Faith to fight him on the top of The Shard and culminate with something more dramatic, maybe Caitlyn letting Kruger fall to his death after Faith tells her the truth about what happened to her parents. Catalyst pays a lot of homages to the original, but basically copying the finale was really weak considering the ending of the first game wasn't very well-received to begin with. With all of that being said, I still enjoyed Catalyst's story much more than the originals, but I hope DICE will put a greater emphasis on the story if they make a sequel.

______________End of spoilers______________

I'm not a huge fan of collectibles in games when those collectibles do absolutely nothing. In this instance, that means the electronic parts. I understand gridLeaks being used to incentivize players to explore the open world and visit obscure parts of Glass, so why have electronic parts that serve the exact same purpose? Documents and voice recordings, those are collectibles done right. Hidden runner bags are a nice homage to the original. The electronic parts are redundant. At least you get the ability to see where unclaimed gridLeaks are after you finish the game. There is no such thing for the 250 electronic parts hidden throughout Glass. That makes collecting them a monumental chore and your only reward is a runner kit. Make it so that collecting electronic parts unlocks upgrades for Faith's equipment or something. If there's a sequel, keep gridLeaks or electronic parts, but not both. If there has to be both, give electronic parts a real purpose.

Anyway, I don't want to just complain, so let me talk about what I really enjoyed. The gameplay and visuals in this game were great. One thing that makes Mirror's Edge so unique is its aesthetic. The City was very gritty and gray with single vibrant colors that gave each level character. I love that deep blue reminds me of The Shard, green reminds me of The Boat, and orange reminds me of Pirandello Kruger. I like that Mirror's Edge: Catalyst continued that trend but made Glass much sleeker and cleaner. Now, when I think of cherry blossoms and the ocean, I think of Ocean Pier. When I think of neon blue and purple futurism, I think of Shimmering Heights. The world DICE created was really visually pleasing and it makes free roaming very rewarding and immersive. None of the areas feel forgettable or bland, they all have unique characteristics.

I like how the game gives subtle nods to the original. I like how Catalyst isn't a completely different game than the original. I like to think of it as an alternative universe type of situation. Even though the original game's plot has been retconned, I like how they're both intertwined. I think the series has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see what direction it takes next. I just hope any sequel can tie up some of the loose ends that Catalyst created and focus more on building a richer lore.
  • I played this game with the Playstation VR headset. I gotta say that even though this game was not VR compatible, the game was still phenomenal!

Witnessing the game in all of its glory on a VR headset really makes this game. However, if another Mirrors Edge game were to come out, it would be nice to have it be VR compatible, allowing access different towns in Cascadia, and more interaction with Celeste, Faith's best friend, which I'm suprised we didn't get to see too much of in this game.
  • A VR Mirror's Edge game would be unbelievable. I'm an Xbox gamer, so it'd be hard for me to access obviously, but as long as it didn't cause too much motion sickness, it would be amazing!
  • excellent game with excellent story which can continue for sure...and it can be that Noah didn't die yet. :)
  • ParryDiise wrote: »
    g

Anyways. Runner customization and online would be cool for everyone. Right?

haha, indeed!
  • They should really go back to the mature content like in the first game! This new instalment felt oriented to little kids lol. They should bring guns back. Make a creepy dark story hidden in the city. Faith felt like a complete cry baby when I played MEC. Possibly go back to linear game. I feel that thats where they shine. Dice and ea if your seeing this please consider me! I miss the beautiful architecture in the first instalment. also dont make it futuristic. make it real and believable.
  • Medium
    8 posts
    edited December 2016
    I agree. The most valuable parts of this game is not beating records in free running or collecting objects, but the characters, their stories, so they might go back to linear game, but its not necessary unless the story let us to empathize into it. I dont blame DICE for Catalyst. For me te characters were made really good. And about mechanics, this is what we actually wanted, to run in the open city, but I dont like that they took from us a few things, like disarming enemies. I really hate fight in the game, its the worst part.
    Give us a good, trustable adventures of Faith, we want to see more about Cait and Celeste. Maybe another comic book :)
    Post edited by Medium on
  • I don't mind having no guns, because I think it personalises the game a lot more (and the gun combat in the first one was horrendous- cutting it out altogether really solves a lot of problems). However, combat in this game wasn't particularly impressive either, especially Faith was all about the attack without any defensive strategies or counters. I also preferred the linear gameplay a lot more, as open world just doesn't feel right for this game- the beauty of the original was exploring linear levels, finding glitches, secret spots, easter eggs and faster routes in entirely self-contained settings and areas, as opposed to just a giant open world. The open world also felt ridiculously empty too, and all the best places to visit were out of bounds, rendering the open world pretty useless. It felt like you were constantly travelling the same routes and there was no interesting exploration. Also, I agree with the content- the original was fairly tame, but it wasn't just made to be entirely family-friendly (which is how Catalyst feels most of the time). A lot of the dialogue in the original, with the cussing and phrases characters like Merc and Faith used, was important to their characters because it really developed their strong and tough personalities. It sounds ridiculous, but the fact there was no swearing, no serious or heavy dialogue, and no real adult themes to Catalyst made it feel like a very watered-down game in terms of character and story content.
  • sonicnerd14
    124 posts
    edited December 2016
    I don't mind having no guns, because I think it personalises the game a lot more (and the gun combat in the first one was horrendous- cutting it out altogether really solves a lot of problems). However, combat in this game wasn't particularly impressive either, especially Faith was all about the attack without any defensive strategies or counters. I also preferred the linear gameplay a lot more, as open world just doesn't feel right for this game- the beauty of the original was exploring linear levels, finding glitches, secret spots, easter eggs and faster routes in entirely self-contained settings and areas, as opposed to just a giant open world. The open world also felt ridiculously empty too, and all the best places to visit were out of bounds, rendering the open world pretty useless. It felt like you were constantly travelling the same routes and there was no interesting exploration. Also, I agree with the content- the original was fairly tame, but it wasn't just made to be entirely family-friendly (which is how Catalyst feels most of the time). A lot of the dialogue in the original, with the cussing and phrases characters like Merc and Faith used, was important to their characters because it really developed their strong and tough personalities. It sounds ridiculous, but the fact there was no swearing, no serious or heavy dialogue, and no real adult themes to Catalyst made it feel like a very watered-down game in terms of character and story content.

The open world isn't necessarily the problem. A lot of people wanted this game, and even the first game to be open world, but the problem is how they executed it. Like you said its kinda empty, and they didn't do it any service by not including a variety of fun and engaging activities to do. That along with the relatively small map limited their ability to do any of that. Everything was done on rooftops, there where hardly any buildings to go into to add more density to the map, and the ground level was heavily restricted where the only place you were able to go was the construction district. They needed to open the map up more, and that left them vulnerable. The thing that lets the story down is that mystery that they were kind of trying to build with the first Mirrors Edge, but that was all wiped away with this game with a generic plotline. Honestly, they could recover a lot of this game back with a really big story expansion. Kinda like what Deep Silver did with Dying Light The Following. That game went from a horrible cash grabbing cliff hanger for the inevitable sequel, to a complete 180 that really made the entire game much better. If EA and DICE drops support on the current game they have now, then they will be going nowhere fast with the ME franchise.
  • I don't mind having no guns, because I think it personalises the game a lot more (and the gun combat in the first one was horrendous- cutting it out altogether really solves a lot of problems). However, combat in this game wasn't particularly impressive either, especially Faith was all about the attack without any defensive strategies or counters. I also preferred the linear gameplay a lot more, as open world just doesn't feel right for this game- the beauty of the original was exploring linear levels, finding glitches, secret spots, easter eggs and faster routes in entirely self-contained settings and areas, as opposed to just a giant open world. The open world also felt ridiculously empty too, and all the best places to visit were out of bounds, rendering the open world pretty useless. It felt like you were constantly travelling the same routes and there was no interesting exploration. Also, I agree with the content- the original was fairly tame, but it wasn't just made to be entirely family-friendly (which is how Catalyst feels most of the time). A lot of the dialogue in the original, with the cussing and phrases characters like Merc and Faith used, was important to their characters because it really developed their strong and tough personalities. It sounds ridiculous, but the fact there was no swearing, no serious or heavy dialogue, and no real adult themes to Catalyst made it feel like a very watered-down game in terms of character and story content.

Definitely. I think that the adult characters in the original ME made it more dark and mysterious, whereas in Catalyst the protagonists are mainly teenagers, and so the atmosphere is very different. The game seems less mature, in a way.
    Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.
  • Then again, it is about Faith's origin, so I can see that it fits well with the story they were trying to put across. In Catalyst, Faith is supposed to be a teenager making mistakes and learning from them, whereas in ME, she has already been through that stage and is much more mature and hardened.
    Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited December 2016
    i think that the open world needs to stay, the only thing they need to change with the world is making it slightly bigger, so more areas, districts, and maybe enable us some ground action etc. they didn't completely stuff up the game, they just haven't cracked the code yet, they need to sit down and think about its future in more detail, consider our comments about multiplayer, bigger map, better/longer story, they are not dumb though, so i believe they will make the right decisions eventually. Dice is a strong company, catalyst needs to be continued, no matter what, it is a game that needs to see the light more, and i believe dice hasn't given up yet...
  • All characters from the story of Faith Connors are very strong. They aren't made to remain in our memory for 5 mins, but much longer. Besides of ME, Dice actually doesnt have other productions with a soul, so they should keep it in mind.
    As many of you guys said, id like to see significantly more areas on the ground to explore during the main story and free run, it would be realistic, because Faith doesnt sit on the rooftops all the time. Yes, she even goes to the shops sometimes... to steal some clothes xD
  • ImUrFriend
    167 posts
    edited December 2016
    Folks.. Do you think Faith should have a new look for the sequel? For example, dye her hair, new clothes? ( I may sound like the developer, I'm not lol )
    I am Iman.
  • Everyone needs to know it's me and not some other runner! :-)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • Hopefully I really like the games
  • im sure they will make some changes. if they consider our feedback, they can use them and hopefully make many of us happy and get a very good ME title we all can enjoy for a long time.
  • metalrocks wrote: »
    im sure they will make some changes. if they consider our feedback, they can use them and hopefully make many of us happy and get a very good ME title we all can enjoy for a long time.

Right?? Hopefully they can read our feedbacks.
    I am Iman.
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst was funniest game I played this year. Hopefully they have Mirror's Edge project going on in office at we can see next release in this decade.
  • ImUrFriend wrote: »
    Folks.. Do you think Faith should have a new look for the sequel? For example, dye her hair, new clothes? ( I may sound like the developer, I'm not lol )

I think she's fine the way she is. Unless they fast forward the timeline in the game a bit she should look the part of being a little older, but other than that no.
  • sonicnerd14
    124 posts
    edited December 2016
    i think that the open world needs to stay, the only thing they need to change with the world is making it slightly bigger, so more areas, districts, and maybe enable us some ground action etc. they didn't completely stuff up the game, they just haven't cracked the code yet, they need to sit down and think about its future in more detail, consider our comments about multiplayer, bigger map, better/longer story, they are not dumb though, so i believe they will make the right decisions eventually. Dice is a strong company, catalyst needs to be continued, no matter what, it is a game that needs to see the light more, and i believe dice hasn't given up yet...

So basically like what I said. Take the positives of this game, the positives of the first, combine them into to one, and add some extra on the side. That's basically what we want, its just that DICE took one step forward with somethings in this game, and one step back, and its almost like they made no progress. I think they'd be better off saying this game was a prequel instead of a reboot, but they already screwed themselves on that one. So I guess we will just have to wait, and see whether or not DICE takes our advise for another game in the future, or DLC perhaps.
    Post edited by sonicnerd14 on
  • i think that the open world needs to stay, the only thing they need to change with the world is making it slightly bigger, so more areas, districts, and maybe enable us some ground action etc. they didn't completely stuff up the game, they just haven't cracked the code yet, they need to sit down and think about its future in more detail, consider our comments about multiplayer, bigger map, better/longer story, they are not dumb though, so i believe they will make the right decisions eventually. Dice is a strong company, catalyst needs to be continued, no matter what, it is a game that needs to see the light more, and i believe dice hasn't given up yet...

If they make it bigger, they have to give it far more life and excitement, and therefore I'm not sure if making the open world even bigger will help or harm Mirror's Edge. I'd far prefer a smaller, tightly packed open world environment with plenty of activities, easter eggs and interesting areas than a bigger explorable space that sacrifices the details and fun. You're right, they are a strong company and they have a bright future if they put the effort in.
  • ImUrFriend wrote: »

I personally love her look now. I think it's the perfect fit for Faith and the only thing I could say is to mature her slightly in the event that she is aged in a possible sequel, or modernise her if necessary, judging on the time said sequel is released. Her design now is fairly simplistic but still very strong and realistic, which I love.
  • i think that the open world needs to stay, the only thing they need to change with the world is making it slightly bigger, so more areas, districts, and maybe enable us some ground action etc. they didn't completely stuff up the game, they just haven't cracked the code yet, they need to sit down and think about its future in more detail, consider our comments about multiplayer, bigger map, better/longer story, they are not dumb though, so i believe they will make the right decisions eventually. Dice is a strong company, catalyst needs to be continued, no matter what, it is a game that needs to see the light more, and i believe dice hasn't given up yet...

If they make it bigger, they have to give it far more life and excitement, and therefore I'm not sure if making the open world even bigger will help or harm Mirror's Edge. I'd far prefer a smaller, tightly packed open world environment with plenty of activities, easter eggs and interesting areas than a bigger explorable space that sacrifices the details and fun. You're right, they are a strong company and they have a bright future if they put the effort in.

If they didn't make the open world bigger it can't be small yet spacious at the same time because that would be a contradiction. Unless you mean like what I said earlier to increase map density by making more buildings acessable, making the ground levels more accessible, and more interesting activities in between.
  • Yeah more verticality and inside-ness :-)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc

If they didn't make the open world bigger it can't be small yet spacious at the same time because that would be a contradiction. Unless you mean like what I said earlier to increase map density by making more buildings acessable, making the ground levels more accessible, and more interesting activities in between.

thats what i want of the next game too. help out some civilians or even some C-sec officers who had enough of their job. these would be nice little side quests.
  • I wonder about the implementation of another mechanics in game and I mean the character movement. Since it's all about running, we dont stay at the site for a long time, right? All your ideas of crowded, living city make me to stop and imagine how Faith could behave in this environment. Let's think about immersion, when we get to know Faith and others better. Obviously those are the moments when the game "slows down", during cutscenes and dialogs. If we're about to slow down, then Faith needs to slow down. I see her walking in the crowd of civils, meeting with certain characters which she could interact with. To see her from a different perspective than running, what she thinks when its time to take a breath off the grid. I'd like to explore the city feeling like Faith leaves a significant mark on the places she visits, the character she meets. I'd like to see a deep, dense city where we can lost, not in the labirynth of empty turns and beautiful polished surfaces, but in the city full of stories to discover and deal with.
    I dont want to make it an open world rpg or something, not for sure. This game is mostly based on characters' past, not topical game plot, thats why we need to have more interactions between them and dive into their life.
  • Medium wrote: »
    I wonder about the implementation of another mechanics in game and I mean the character movement. Since it's all about running, we dont stay at the site for a long time, right? All your ideas of crowded, living city make me to stop and imagine how Faith could behave in this environment. Let's think about immersion, when we get to know Faith and others better. Obviously those are the moments when the game "slows down", during cutscenes and dialogs. If we're about to slow down, then Faith needs to slow down. I see her walking in the crowd of civils, meeting with certain characters which she could interact with. To see her from a different perspective than running, what she thinks when its time to take a breath off the grid. I'd like to explore the city feeling like Faith leaves a significant mark on the places she visits, the character she meets. I'd like to see a deep, dense city where we can lost, not in the labirynth of empty turns and beautiful polished surfaces, but in the city full of stories to discover and deal with.
    I dont want to make it an open world rpg or something, not for sure. This game is mostly based on characters' past, not topical game plot, thats why we need to have more interactions between them and dive into their life.

Well said...
  • Medium wrote: »
    I wonder about the implementation of another mechanics in game and I mean the character movement. Since it's all about running, we dont stay at the site for a long time, right? All your ideas of crowded, living city make me to stop and imagine how Faith could behave in this environment. Let's think about immersion, when we get to know Faith and others better. Obviously those are the moments when the game "slows down", during cutscenes and dialogs. If we're about to slow down, then Faith needs to slow down. I see her walking in the crowd of civils, meeting with certain characters which she could interact with. To see her from a different perspective than running, what she thinks when its time to take a breath off the grid. I'd like to explore the city feeling like Faith leaves a significant mark on the places she visits, the character she meets. I'd like to see a deep, dense city where we can lost, not in the labirynth of empty turns and beautiful polished surfaces, but in the city full of stories to discover and deal with.

Absolutely a great idea. I wanted to see this type of interactions in future games
    I am Iman.