/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Desyncs in cut scenes - Page 7 — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Desyncs in cut scenes

Comments

• Shrinivas
    6 posts
    edited June 2016
    I have the same issue, in game I have no problems, everything is smooth but cutscenes are messy as ... They are freezing to 2-5 fps plus audio is totally out of sync. Im forced to stop playing and wait for patch. Ive bought game today and Im totally dissapointed because its a broken product. EA is still the same.
  • GODzilla wrote: »
    Was going good so far, with the hints collected here I thought there was a chance of actually playing the game and surprisingly the second cinematic of the story went smoothly for the most part. There was a very slight desync for a second and you could almost feel the game wanting to screw it again, but it was fine. So I continued playing, finished the first real asignment (Elysium building) and it was a blast.

Then I returned to the safehouse and watched the next cutscene and *bam*, ruined again. Totally out of sync, best way was to look away and just listen to the audio. -.-

The game is so broken, you'd expect them to do something fast. Especially since the beta aparently did not have this issue. But instead, silence. I get that you cannot communicate each and every small detail to your customers, least of all specific dates when you're not sure you can keep them, as more outrage would surely follow.

But a small update...at least...please?

Every single cutscene is so messed up in my game i can barely even hear what they are saying. It is every single pre-rendered one. So i just stopped doing the story and i wont complete it until it is fixed. Game runs perfectly fine on ultra whenever it isn't a cutscene. Cant understand how a big dev group like dice could mess this up so badly? It is just video files.
  • Zefnoly wrote: »

Every single cutscene is so messed up in my game i can barely even hear what they are saying. It is every single pre-rendered one. So i just stopped doing the story and i wont complete it until it is fixed. Game runs perfectly fine on ultra whenever it isn't a cutscene. Cant understand how a big dev group like dice could mess this up so badly? It is just video files.

You sure they're just video files? I thought they are rendered on the fly, in-engine and that's the reason they are so messed up,. But video files...wow. Why not just fix them, make a patch and release it?

Yes it might be a big patch, but we downloaded the game via Origin, so what? This is all very strange.

Will try the second thing, manual approach since I don't trust a batch file. ^^ The first idea, to "close all non-critical processes, is a bit far-fetched. How would I know which processes are really non-critical? :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up.
    GODzilla ®
  • Shrinivas
    6 posts
    edited June 2016

Nope doesn't work...I think we can't go past it by changing some settings, it's a core problem. Did somebody find out for real if cutscenes are rendered or prerendered?
  • bump. still no fix.
  • Shrinivas wrote: »

Nope doesn't work...I think we can't go past it by changing some settings, it's a core problem. Did somebody find out for real if cutscenes are rendered or prerendered?

They are video files. You can tell when the cutscenes are in-game, and when they aren't. The renders cutscenes are in first person, and the prerendered scenes are third person. Digital Foundary even said that the cutscenes are video files, its not even that hard to tell. When you are in the skills menu the little videos that play freezes too meaning they suffer from the same issue.
  • Actually those little videos in the skill-tree are running abolutely fine for me. That's why I was asking whether someone could definitely tell the cutscenes are videos or not. ^^

So...definitely videos then. Wow. Just wow. How...why? **** -.-
    GODzilla ®
  • So good to know that they are not better looking, rig kicking and badly optimised engine renders. So, if they're just skipping videos maybe it will be easier to fix? Who knows...
  • Whenever the audio and video desyncs in the cutscenes I open the origin ingame overlay for a little bit. I think it just pauses the video until the audio can catch up, it seems to work for me.
  • 4aceman wrote: »
    Whenever the audio and video desyncs in the cutscenes I open the origin ingame overlay for a little bit. I think it just pauses the video until the audio can catch up, it seems to work for me.

That's actually quite a nice idea and I've noticed something similar before, though I ignored it, thinking it'd be coincidence. I alt-tabbed out the game several times during the very first cutscene and did manage the get it almost to sync. That way I continued playing, otherwise the game would still lie untouched on my harddisk. ^^

But your idea would be much easier to do. I always had the overlay disabled, but will enable it and give it a try. Thank you! :)
    GODzilla ®
    Actually those little videos in the skill-tree are running abolutely fine for me. That's why I was asking whether someone could definitely tell the cutscenes are videos or not. ^^

So...definitely videos then. Wow. Just wow. How...why? **** -.-

They are videos. That is why so many people say the FPS is lower. You can see it on that they dont change for the settings in graphics either. And for us with the stuttering on them stil got our fps high as the game ran normally.
  • bump. one more day without patch.
  • The de-sync is really crazy, devs this should be your no. 1 top priority. I had the ending spoiled because of this utter nonsense.
  • FIX YOUR GAME IT IS BROKEN
  • FIX YOUR GAME IT IS BROKEN

Glad someone was finally brave enough to state it simply.
  • So... given all this time transpired and with what seems to be zero progress. Who do i need to see about getting my money back?
  • Did they forgot about us?
    Really? the game was released 2 weeks ago and still nothing? Are dev even caring about our problem?
    They don't communicate with us, how are we suppose to know if they're still working on it?
    I want my money back until they fix this issues
  • 4aceman wrote: »
    Whenever the audio and video desyncs in the cutscenes I open the origin ingame overlay for a little bit. I think it just pauses the video until the audio can catch up, it seems to work for me.

So I tested this...and it really works! :smile: Thanks again.
    GODzilla ®
  • Seriously guys, don't expect much from EA...
  • GODzilla
    29 posts
    edited June 2016
    Well they DID add this very cool feature to their otherwise useless piece of software, that overlay, which fixes the video desync if you open it several times during playback of said videos! Does that count for nothing???? :smiley:
    GODzilla ®
    4aceman wrote: »

So I tested this...and it really works! :smile: Thanks again.

Still does not work for me :(
  • gcyork
    1 posts
    edited June 2016
    I found a fix for the desync in cut scenes

use command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60 in the console,
    you can set the fps to whatever you want/like/need, but be sure to set it to a speed your pc can handle.
    (I would say try 30 and if it works then try 60)

This link tells you how you can create a config file to do this automatically without using the console every time you start the game

https://diaryofdennis.com/2016/04/24/how-to-show-the-fps-in-mirrors-edge-catalyst-with-a-config-file/
  • gcyork wrote: »
    I found a fix for the desync in cut scenes

use command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60 in the console,
    you can set the fps to whatever you want/like/need, but be sure to set it to a speed your pc can handle.
    (I would say try 30 and if it works then try 60)

This link tells you how you can create a config file to do this automatically without using the console every time you start the game

https://diaryofdennis.com/2016/04/24/how-to-show-the-fps-in-mirrors-edge-catalyst-with-a-config-file/

can someone see if this also solves the stuttering?
  • GODzilla
    29 posts
    edited June 2016
    So I tried this, set it to 60 as I am sure the game runs with 60fps average all the time and I played the mission "Fly Trap", there was a cutscene and nothing happened! I mean...nothing happened...as in...it ran flawlessly! :smiley:

It seems like you fixed it.

Am I surprised "modding" fixes another botched game release? No. Will DICE go to my "avoid" list and join there with Ubisoft? Oh yes definitely.

PS: Spoken a bit too soon, the following cutscene was out of sync again, but not as badly. Mhm...
    GODzilla ®
  • I tried the GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60 solution, did not fix anything for me.
  • VictorfromKnutby
    2 posts
    edited June 2016
    They will come with the solution after some 5-8 months from now, remember Battleshit 4, I was forced to wait 9 months till the small, tiny patch came out and my game no longer was crashing to deskop, right now it is too much, I will buy their battleshit 1 in their dreams, people should do some massive action and not buy any game from EA. Many great games are ahead, we should learn them and not to buy their broken games.
  • VictorfromKnutby
    2 posts
    edited June 2016
    Anyway frostshit is a good looking engine but even it own developers have a problem to control it properly, imagine if unreal engine 3 and every game on it have always some problems...., right now it's not even a game problem since is running fine on my i5 16gb ram and titan or gtx 980, it's about the **** cutscenes, remember the same issue with COD advanced warfare their unknown engine, there was an option to load game first with cutscenes and then put them smooth to watch, or wait less because the cutscenes will go on while loading and some people ended with the same **** as cutscenes in this game but we have the choice, if someone had a fast machine choose the second option, I back then have shity rig so i choose the first one, MEC loading while the cutscene is running but with no reason it lags even on strong machines. .
    Post edited by VictorfromKnutby on
  • And7rey
    11 posts
    edited June 2016
    . GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60 didn't help me, audio still desyncing. It was interesting though to change fps within cutscene from 3-100 :smiley:
  • That command actually did slightly help with my cutscenes. They're less stuttery and the audio is less laggy, but the video still slows down which causes it to desync anyways.

Two weeks and still nothing? Come on DICE, I paid good money for this. I wanna finish the story so bad. I never had this problem in the beta, and it was fixed for XBox users so it's baffling for it to not be fixed yet on PC.